IMAP Limitations with Outlook 2013?

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 20:22:24 EET 2018

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 at 20:52, Robert Adkins <radkins at impelind.com> wrote:

> Good Day!
>

>                 I have a fairly new user on my network that has, over
> about 10 months, created in root inbox and nested sub-folders totaling over
> 900 individual folders.
>

>                 In the past few weeks, newly created folders will be
> visible in Outlook 2013, but when an email is moved into that folder, it is
> no longer visible. I can ssh into the server, drill down to that sub-folder
> and see the email in the folder AND it is also available to be seen without
> issue in Thunderbird.
>
>                 I know this is a longshot, but if there is some feature
> that I haven’t found in Dovecot to force Outlook to synchronize with all
> the folders/sub-folders, please let me know.
>

>                 Beyond that… With this particular users habits, over the
> next 5 years, there could be nearly 10,000 folders/sub-folders. Does anyone
> know if this will create any problems with Dovecot or is this JUST a
> Microsoft software problem?
>

> --
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Robert Adkins
>
> IT Manager/Tool Designer
>
> Impel Industries, Inc.
> 586-254-5800

I am only marveling at 900 individual mailboxes!
That kind of situation tells me that the individual does not need to use
e-mail anymore for their work. Maybe a CRM system.
I am thinking along the lines of having 900+ labels on gmail....

Anyway, I know Timo has a better answer for you.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,