v2.3.4 released

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Nov 24 12:29:52 EET 2018

On 24 Nov 2018, at 8.33, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I installed 2.3.4 and just used it with the config files for 2.3.3 without changing anything in the configuration.
> I then realized that the LDA was throwing errors.
>
> 2018-11-24 00:02:51 1gQIaw-000AZS-Bc </var/spool/virtual/crownkenya.com/john.doe/Maildir <http://crownkenya.com/john.doe/Maildir>>: dovecot_virtual_delivery transport output: lda(john.doe at our.domain.name <mailto:john.doe at our.domain.name>)Error: net_connect_unix(/var/run/dovecot//stats-writer) failed: Permission denied
>
> I checked on the presence of the sockets in /var/run/dovecot:
>
> srw-------   1 root      wheel        0 Nov 24 09:07 stats-reader
> srw-rw----   1 root      dovecot      0 Nov 24 09:07 stats-writer

What user/group does dovecot_virtual_delivery run as? Change the stats-writer socket's owner to be that user. For example:

service stats {
  unix_listener stats-writer {
      user = vmail
  }
}

Or alternatively change dovecot_virtual_delivery to use dovecot group.

> I have tried to find any mention of stats-{writer|reader} in the example configs shipped with 2.3.4 and found nothing. I have backed-off 2.3.4 for now till I can figure out how to assign proper permissions to these sockets - or just to figure out why by default, permission is being denied.

Looks like this is happening now because in earlier versions the dovecot-lda process wasn't sending any statistics.