v2.3.4 released

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 13:27:40 EET 2018

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 at 13:29, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On 24 Nov 2018, at 8.33, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> I installed 2.3.4 and just used it with the config files for 2.3.3 without
> changing anything in the configuration.
> I then realized that the LDA was throwing errors.
>
> 2018-11-24 00:02:51 1gQIaw-000AZS-Bc </var/spool/virtual/
> crownkenya.com/john.doe/Maildir>: dovecot_virtual_delivery transport
> output: lda(john.doe at our.domain.name)Error:
> net_connect_unix(/var/run/dovecot//stats-writer) failed: Permission denied
>
> I checked on the presence of the sockets in /var/run/dovecot:
>
> srw-------   1 root      wheel        0 Nov 24 09:07 stats-reader
> srw-rw----   1 root      dovecot      0 Nov 24 09:07 stats-writer
>

> What user/group does dovecot_virtual_delivery run as?

It runs as the MTA user - mailnull.

> Change the stats-writer socket's owner to be that user. For example:
>
> service stats {
>   unix_listener stats-writer {
>       user = vmail
>   }
> }

That makes sense.

> Or alternatively change dovecot_virtual_delivery to use dovecot group.

That would not be possible because it will not have permissions to write
the mail files.

> I have tried to find any mention of stats-{writer|reader} in the example
> configs shipped with 2.3.4 and found nothing. I have backed-off 2.3.4 for
> now till I can figure out how to assign proper permissions to these sockets
> - or just to figure out why by default, permission is being denied.
>

> Looks like this is happening now because in earlier versions the
> dovecot-lda process wasn't sending any statistics.

BTW, was it an oversight that this config snippet is not documented with
the example-config files? Or on the Wiki? Or my eyes are failing me? :-)

 Thank you very much.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,