Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic) packages now available

Jean-Daniel Dupas jddupas at xooloo.com
Mon Nov 26 10:46:39 EET 2018

> Le 25 nov. 2018 à 19:25, Michael Ludwig <frozenyoghurt2010 at gmail.com> a écrit :
>

> Hello Dovecot-List,
>
> so Ubuntu users now can get the latest dovecot version. As I am just building a production mailserver for customers, this could come in handy, maybe.
> For a live production system, is it reasonable to switch from the main Ubuntu Dovecot release to your newer packages?
> How long will the Dovecot team build these packages? When the team don't want to build these packages anymore, how difficult will it be to switch back to the Ubuntu maintained versions?

I did the switch from mainstream to dovecot repo to upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3 on xenial, and appart one or two minor configurations changes, it worked just fine.

And more recently, I switched from a bionic-backport of cosmic release (used to get 2.3 on bionic) to this just released version using apt and it was transparent.

In my case, switching back to mainstream on the other hand would be harder, as I now rely on 2.3 specific features.

So I guess as long as you don't use features that are not yet released upstream, switching back should not be difficult.