immediate delete of mails

tselmeci at 486.hu tselmeci at 486.hu
Tue Oct 9 10:04:07 EEST 2018

Hello all!

I've got a home server running on an ARM Cortex-A7 with my custom Linux distribution. It's also responsible for handling incoming and outgoing mails. The SMTP server is OpenSMTPD-6.0.3p1. I'm using Dovecot-2.3.2.1 to export the mails (mailbox storage format) using IMAP.

My old server used to have Dovecot-1.2.0 and honestly, it was absolutely sufficient for me. However, I've decided to use the latest Dovecot on my new system, since all other software components of my system are up-to-date.

With my simple IMAP-configuration Dovecot is running fine, expect for one thing: when I press DEL in the mailer client, the mails don't get deleted. They simple reside in the mailbox file. It annoys me a lot, since the mailer client regularly makes them appear with a different (grey) color.

The mailer client is Sylpheed and I'm not willing to use another one. I've already tried Thunderbird, Evolution, Claws-mail, Sylpheed, and Sylpheed suits best to my needs.

The funny thing is that with the same Sylpheed the old Dovecot was willing to physically remove the mails from mailbox file, but the new Dovecot isn't willing to do so.

I've tried to search for an appropriate configuration option, but didn't find what I exactly need. Auto expunge, command-line expunging are nice, but I do want immediate mail delete from mailbox file when I press DEL in the mailer client. I know this can be dangerous and degrades performance.

Is there any option to configure Dovecot to behave like this? If it needs to recompile Dovecot I'm also in ;)

Thanks a lot!

dovecot -n output:

# 2.3.2.1 (0719df592): /etc/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 4.18.9 armv7l
# Hostname: 486
auth_mechanisms = plain login
base_dir = /var/run/dovecot/
default_client_limit = 30
default_process_limit = 10
disable_plaintext_auth = no
listen = *
log_path = /var/log/dovecot.txt
mail_gid = 0
mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
mail_uid = 0
namespace {
  hidden = no
  inbox = yes