doveadm backup: Error: Both source and destination mail_location points to same directory

Martin Johannes Dauser mdauser at cs.sbg.ac.at
Wed Oct 24 14:34:26 EEST 2018

Hello!

I'm using 2 namespaces, "inbox" for INBOX and it's subfolders and
"special" containing folders like Sent, Junk or Drafts.  Though both
use mdbox I decided to represent those namespaces in different
locations "mdbox:~/mail" and "mdbox:~/mail_special_folders". The main
reason to use 2 namespaces was to keep special_use folders out of INBOX
by using the prefix attribute -- it's rather cosmetic.

├── INBOX
│   ├── SubFolder1
│   ├── SubFolder2
│   └── SubFolder3
├── Sent
├── Trash
├── Drafts
├── Junk
├── Templates
├── This is Ham
└── Report Spam

Now I want to export the emails of some former users to common known
maildir or mbox format to be able to hand them over on CD. The problem
is that a conversion with doveadm backup fails. I guess this is due to
namespace special which is configured with a manual location attribute
instead of utilising mail_location. But even telling doveadm to backup
only one namespace leads to the identical error (extract of debug
message at bottom).

As this is a RHEL7 server, the dovecot version is an old 2.2.10 and I
don't expect software debugging -- I just ask if I did some
misconfiguration or a failure in the command.
I already thought of merging the locations of both namespaces. Yet, I'm
not sure how to achieve this.

>From /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-mail.conf

mail_location = mdbox:~/mail

namespace inbox {
  type = private
  hidden = no
  ignore_on_failure = no
  inbox = yes
  list = yes
  location =
  prefix = INBOX/
  separator = /
  subscriptions = yes
}

namespace special {
  type = private
  hidden = no
  ignore_on_failure = no
  inbox = no
  list = yes
  location = mdbox:~/mail_special_folders
  prefix =
  separator = /
  subscriptions = yes
}

HOME is set by LDAP
user_attrs =
=home=/srv/mail/%Ld/%Ln,=uid=20000,=gid=20000,imapQuota=quota_rule=*:st
orage=%$G

Identical debug messages of following commands:

# dsync -Dv backup -u bob at cs.sbg.ac.at maildir:/home/Mailexport/bob
or
# doveadm -Dv backup -u bob at cs.sbg.ac.at maildir:/home/Mailexport/bob
or
# doveadm -Dv  backup -u bob at cs.sbg.ac.at -n inbox
maildir:/home/Mailexport/bob
or
# doveadm -Dv  backup -u bob at cs.sbg.ac.at -n special
maildir:/home/Mailexport/bob

doveadm(bob at cs.sbg.ac.at): Debug: Namespace inbox: type=private,
prefix=INBOX/, sep=/, inbox=yes, hidden=no, list=yes, subscriptions=yes
location=mdbox:~/mail
doveadm(bob at cs.sbg.ac.at): Debug: fs:
root=/srv/mail/cs.sbg.ac.at/bob/mail, index=, indexpvt=, control=,
inbox=, alt=
doveadm(bob at cs.sbg.ac.at): Debug: Namespace special: type=private,
prefix=, sep=/, inbox=no, hidden=no, list=yes, subscriptions=yes
location=mdbox:~/mail_special_folders
doveadm(bob at cs.sbg.ac.at): Debug: fs:
root=/srv/mail/cs.sbg.ac.at/bob/mail_special_folders, index=,
indexpvt=, control=, inbox=, alt=
doveadm(bob at cs.sbg.ac.at): Debug: Namespace INBOX/: Using permissions
from /srv/mail/cs.sbg.ac.at/bob/mail: mode=0774 gid=default
dsync(bob at cs.sbg.ac.at): Debug: Effective uid=20000, gid=20000,
home=/srv/mail/cs.sbg.ac.at/bob
dsync(bob at cs.sbg.ac.at): Debug: Quota root: name=User quota
backend=dict args=:file:/srv/mail/cs.sbg.ac.at/bob/dovecot-quota
dsync(bob at cs.sbg.ac.at): Debug: Namespace inbox: type=private,
prefix=INBOX/, sep=/, inbox=yes, hidden=no, list=yes, subscriptions=yes
location=maildir:/home/Mailexport/bob
dsync(bob at cs.sbg.ac.at): Debug: maildir++: root=/home/Mailexport/bob,
index=, indexpvt=, control=, inbox=/home/Mailexport/bob, alt=
dsync(bob at cs.sbg.ac.at): Debug: Namespace special: type=private,
dsync(bob at cs.sbg.ac.at): Debug: fs:
root=/srv/mail/cs.sbg.ac.at/bob/mail_special_folders, index=,
indexpvt=, control=, inbox=, alt=
dsync(bob at cs.sbg.ac.at): Error: Both source and destination
mail_location points to same directory:
/srv/mail/cs.sbg.ac.at/bob/mail_special_folders/mailboxes

Many thanks for any hint
Martin