Disable logging for localhost

Shawn Heisey elyograg at elyograg.org
Wed Oct 24 18:35:37 EEST 2018

On 10/24/2018 4:46 AM, André Rodier wrote:
> These lines are in the mail.log. I am not talking about Zabbix.
>
> Zabbix generate a connection every second, on both Postfix and Dovecot.
>
> I want these two services to not log connections when they are coming
> from 127.0.0.1, if possible.
>
> Both journalctl (Systemd) and log files are spammed with these lines,
> and I would like to avoid dovecot logging them.
>
> I should have made this clearer.

I'm aware that those lines are in mail.log.That's what a typical syslog
setup does with them.

I suspect this is an XY problem.

https://home.apache.org/~hossman/#xyproblem

Why do you want to get rid of these log lines?

If Zabbix is connecting to your service ports once a second, that's VERY
aggressive, and it sounds very much like overkill.  I would expect a
check every five minutes ... or maybe once a minute if specifically
configured to be aggressive.  The monitoring configuration should be
adjusted so it's MUCH less frequent.

If we back up and try to figure out why these log lines bother you, I
see two likely possibilities.  1) With the service being checked once a
second, there's a LOT of log lines.  As mentioned above, you should
reduce the frequency of the service check.  2) You've got something
looking at the logfile and sending you notifications for these lines.
If that's the case, then the software should have the ability to filter
the log so things that aren't problems will not result in notification.

Thanks,
Shawn