Virtual Maildir as subfolder

Duncan Bellamy a.16bit.sysop at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 08:49:50 EEST 2018

I have a setup where google fetches mail from dovecot with pop3s and deletes mail downloaded, so to do this I currently forward a copy of the email to user-fetch at localhost which is the google login and it downloads from that maildir.  But it means creating extra folders and I was looking at better ways of doing it.

So I have an entry in my user DB file which ends with userdb_mail=maildir:/var/mail/virtual/adomain.com/user/Maildir/.Gfetch, and if I do a "doveadm auth test user at adomain.com” it shows the correct mail location of the .Gfetch folder.  But even though it has 6 messages in the folder a doveadm search and google both see zero messages.

I think this is because the index file is only in the root of the maildir, is there a way to have a ‘virtual root’ inside a maildir like this?

Thanks,
Duncan