Status of SMTPUTF8?

Rical Jasan rj at 2c3t.io
Fri Sep 14 15:15:01 EEST 2018

On 09/13/2018 11:06 PM, Teemu Huovila wrote:
> On 06.09.2018 22:25, kadafax at gmail.com wrote:
>> I necro-bump this thread as I have the same problem since I switched to LMTP from LDA (as the wiki recommend).

Thank you!

>> Any news to make dovecot LMTP postix compliant ?
>>
>> Le 08/11/2016 à 17:13, Noah Tilton a écrit :
>>>
>>> I was wondering whether there is a roadmap for adding SMTPUTF8 support to Dovecot?
>>>
>>> My delivery pattern is Postfix -> Dovecot LMTP and it is choking on utf8 messages.
>>>
>>> I might be able to volunteer some of my time as a developer.
>>>
>>> Another thread about this seemed to go unanswered:
>>> http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2016-September/105474.html
>>>
>>> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/320091/configure-postfix-and-dovecot-lmtp-to-receive-mail-via-smtputf8
>>>
>>> -Noah
>>
> This is being considered and we have some pretty goof plans already, but it is not in the short term planning yet.
>
> br,
> Teemu

+1 from me.  I had to reconfigure our MTAs to stop advertising SMTPUTF8
because after investigating complaints of missing mail, it turned out
messages were making it all the way through every hop only to be
rejected right at the mailbox (quite disappointing).  Some senders will
resend or send an alternate non-UTF8 message when SMTPUTF8 isn't
advertised, but I still wonder how many messages are simply never sent
because (a single component of) our mail system can't support it...

Rical