split auth from other logging

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Wed Sep 26 13:43:28 EEST 2018

I hoped I don't have to switch to syslog logging. Well, anyway.

I changed
10-logging.conf:
syslog_facility = uucp
and commented out the other log lines.

rsyslog.d/50-default.conf:
uucp.debug                      -/var/log/dovecot/debug.log
uucp.info                       -/var/log/dovecot/dovecot.log
uucp.warn                       -/var/log/dovecot/warn.log
uucp.err                        -/var/log/dovecot/error.log
uucp.crit                       -/var/log/warn.log

No fancy redirects with rsyslog yet, plain logging by facility and level.

But it logs only to /var/log/syslog. As if dovecot sets another facility.
I've used uucp in the past with success (not with rsyslog, but with
syslog). AFAIK, uucp still exists as a facility in rsyslog.
Shouldn't the above work?

(Yes, I restarted both daemons.)

Kai