doveadm backup + ISO 8859-1 mailbox name

Michael Goth mg at webflow.de
Wed Apr 3 14:40:50 EEST 2019

Hi!

I'm trying to migrate a mailbox from an old IMAP server (not Dovecot) to
a new Dovecot server with 'doveadm backup'. The command fails because of
an unexpected character in a mailbox name:

doveadm -o imapc_user=ag at example.org \
         -o imapc_password=XXX \
         -o imapc_host=old-mailserver.webflow.de \
         -o imapc_port=993 \
         -o imapc_ssl=imaps \
         -o imapc_ssl_verify=no \
         -o imapc_features=rfc822.size,fetch-headers \
         -o ssl_client_ca_dir=/etc/ssl \
         backup -R -f -x ~* -u migration-ag at example.org imapc:

dsync(migration-ag at example.org): Info:
imapc(old-mailserver.webflow.de:993): Connected to 1.1.1.1:993 (local
2.2.2.2:46154)
dsync(migration-ag at example.org): Error: Failed to access mailbox
Entw?rfe: mailbox does not exist

The problem is with "Entw?rfe" here. It's actually Entw<0xfc>rfe, which
translates to "Entwürfe" in ISO-8859-1.

Why can't doveadm find that mailbox? Is the old mailserver misbehaving
(I hope not because I have no idea how to change that...), or does this
happen on the new server? Can I tell doveadm something that makes this work?

Thank you

Michael

--
Michael Goth