FTS delays

Josef 'Jeff' Sipek jeff.sipek at open-xchange.com
Fri Apr 5 15:08:14 EEST 2019

On Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 19:33:57 +0800, Joan Moreau via dovecot wrote:
> Hi
>
> If you plan to fix the FTS part of Dovecot, I will be very gratefull.

I'm trying to figure out what is causing the 3rd issue you listed, so we can
decide how severe it is and therefore how quickly it needs to be fixed.  At
the moment we are unable to reproduce it, and therefore we cannot fix it.

> Not sure this is related to any specific commit but rahter the overall
> design

Ok.

> The list of bugs so far
>
> 1 - Double call to fts plugins with inconsistent parameter (first call
> diferent from second call for the same request)

Understood.  It is my understanding that this is simply suboptimal rather
than causing crashes/etc.

> 2 - "Rescan" features for now consists of deleting indexes. SHall be
> resending emails to rescan to the fts plugin instead

I'm not sure I follow.  The rescan operation is invoked on the fts backend
and it is up to the implementation to somehow ensure that after it is done
the fts index is up to date.  The easiest way to implement it is to simply
delete the fts index and re-index all the mails.  That is what currently
happens in the solr backend.

The lucene fts backend does a more complicated matching of the fts index
with the emails.  Finally, the deprecated squat backend seem to ignore the
rescan requests (its rescan vfunc is NULL).

> 3 - the loop when body search (just do a "doveadm search -u user at domain
> mailbox inbox text whatevertexte")
>
> Refer to my email to Timo on 2019-04-03 18:30 on the same thread for bug
> details
>
> (especially the loop)

This seems to be the most important of the 4 issues you listed, so I'd like
to focus on this one for now.

As I mentioned, we cannot reproduce this ourselves.  So, we need your help
to narrow things down.  Therefore, can you give us the commit hashes of
revisions that you know are good and which are bad?  You can use git-bisect
to narrow the range down.

> 4 - Most notably, I notice that header search usually does not care
> about fts plugin (even with fts_enforced) and rely on some internal
> search , which si total non-sense

You're right, that doesn't seem to make sense.  Can you provide a test case?

Jeff.

--
What is the difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers?
Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets.