SMTPUTF8 support

John Fawcett john at voipsupport.it
Sat Apr 6 12:19:54 EEST 2019

On 06/04/2019 10:07, André Rodier via dovecot wrote:
> On 05/04/2019 08:57, David Bürgin via dovecot wrote:
>> André, are you quite sure you have it working?
>>
>> In this thread someone from Open-Xchange stated that no, Dovecot doesn’t
>> have SMTPUTF8 support implemented, and the same response was given by
>> another Dovecot developer last September (it ‘is being considered’ was
>> the answer then, see
>> https://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2018-September/112887.html).
>>
>> I am using LMTP to deliver mail to Dovecot from Postfix, and delivery
>> fails with Postfix reporting: ‘SMTPUTF8 is required, but was not offered
>> by host mail.my.org[private/dovecot-lmtp]’. I doubt that this can work
>> without a change in Dovecot LMTP.
>>
>> Anyway, I am also interested in SMTPUTF8 support, so +1 from me!
>>

> Hello David et al,
>
> I have it working with my set up, and I confirm it is not easy.
>
> If I limit the stack to OpenLDAP, Postfix and Dovecot to their
> simplest configuration, it is relatively easy, even with slightly
> outdated software in Debian Stretch.

I think you are confusing acceptance of UTF8 in the localpart of the
email address (which if I remember correctly worked in the 2.2 branch)
with SMTPUTF8 support. As mentioned in the thread above Dovecot does not
as yet support SMTPUTF8. Support for SMTPUTF8 would mean among other
things changing the source code of Dovecot so that it announces the
SMTPUTF8 key word to the upstream MTA.

John