SMTPUTF8 support

André Rodier andre at rodier.me
Sat Apr 6 12:34:43 EEST 2019

On Sat, 2019-04-06 at 11:19 +0200, John Fawcett via dovecot wrote:
> On 06/04/2019 10:07, André Rodier via dovecot wrote:
> > On 05/04/2019 08:57, David Bürgin via dovecot wrote:
> > > André, are you quite sure you have it working?
> > >
> > > In this thread someone from Open-Xchange stated that no, Dovecot doesn’t
> > > have SMTPUTF8 support implemented, and the same response was given by
> > > another Dovecot developer last September (it ‘is being considered’ was
> > > the answer then, see
> > > https://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2018-September/112887.html).
> > >
> > > I am using LMTP to deliver mail to Dovecot from Postfix, and delivery
> > > fails with Postfix reporting: ‘SMTPUTF8 is required, but was not offered
> > > by host mail.my.org[private/dovecot-lmtp]’. I doubt that this can work
> > > without a change in Dovecot LMTP.
> > >
> > > Anyway, I am also interested in SMTPUTF8 support, so +1 from me!
> > >

> > Hello David et al,
> >
> > I have it working with my set up, and I confirm it is not easy.
> >
> > If I limit the stack to OpenLDAP, Postfix and Dovecot to their
> > simplest configuration, it is relatively easy, even with slightly
> > outdated software in Debian Stretch.
>
> I think you are confusing acceptance of UTF8 in the localpart of the
> email address (which if I remember correctly worked in the 2.2 branch)
> with SMTPUTF8 support. As mentioned in the thread above Dovecot does not
> as yet support SMTPUTF8. Support for SMTPUTF8 would mean among other
> things changing the source code of Dovecot so that it announces the
> SMTPUTF8 key word to the upstream MTA.
>
> John

Hello John,

You are probably right.

I am not well aware of the low level details and the terminology.

I confess I am mostly interested in the proper reception of the emails
with accentuated user names, which is already sometimes difficult to
achieve.

Is there any link where I can learn the communication rules between
Dovecot and Postfix and the SMTPUTF8 standard ?

Kind regards,
André

--
André Rodier