Shared namespace is empty after migration to new Dovecot installation

Peter Reinhold peter_dovecot at reinhold.dk
Tue Dec 10 22:17:09 EET 2019

On 2019-12-09 14:10, Peter Reinhold via dovecot wrote:

> auth-master: userdb lookup(user at sharer.dk): Started userdb lookup
> auth-master: conn unix:/var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb: Connecting
> auth-master: conn unix:/var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb (pid=1636,uid=0):
> Client connected (fd=9)
> auth-master: userdb lookup(user at sharer.dk): auth USER input:
> user at sharer.dk uid=? gid=? home=/data/mail/sharer.dk/user
> auth-master: userdb lookup(user at sharer.dk): Finished userdb lookup
> (username=user at sharer.dk uid=? gid=? home=/data/mail/sharer.dk/user)
> auth-master: userdb lookup(user at sharer.dk): Started userdb lookup
> auth-master: userdb lookup(user at sharer.dk): auth USER input:
> user at sharer.dk uid=? gid=? home=/data/mail/sharer.dk/user
> auth-master: userdb lookup(user at sharer.dk): Finished userdb lookup
> (username=user at sharer.dk uid=? gid=? home=/data/mail/sharer.dk/user)

I've been trying a few things, still with no luck, but I noticed
something that I find a bit strange.

On the wiki-page, https://wiki.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes/Shared, the
following is stated

"The location setting specifies how to access other users' mailboxes. If
you use %%h, the user's home directory is asked from auth process via
auth-userdb socket. See LDA for how to configure the socket. If the
users' mailboxes can be found using a template, it's faster not to use
the %%h."

But, looking at my location setting in my shared namespace

   location =
maildir:/data/mail/%%d/%%n/maildir:INDEX=~/maildir/shared/%%u:INDEXPVT:~/maildir/shared/%%u

I am not using %%h, but rather a template.  It still seems to trigger a
used-db lookup (and it did not do this in my old setup)

Could this be why it doesn't work? My user-lookup doesnt seem to return
the full location (including /maildir), but only a home folder.

--
Peter Reinhold