Managesieve problem

Hegedüs Ervin airween at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 15:09:07 EET 2019

Hi John,

On Sun, Feb 03, 2019 at 09:56:38AM +0100, John Fawcett wrote:
> On 01/02/2019 13:39, Ervin Hegedüs wrote:
> > I'ld try to set up the managesieve (for RoundCube) - the sieve is
> > works as well with dovecot (I mean my filters works perfectly).
> >
> > When I would try to connect to managesieve, I got an error, and
> > mail.err contains:
> >
> > dovecot: managesieve(airween at mydomain.hu): Error: user airween at madomain.hu: Couldn't drop privileges: getgrnam(vmail) failed: Permission denied (in mail_privileged_group setting)
> >
> > Also I got it when I try to connect to port 4190 at localhost
> > (with telnet), and send the generated AUTH string (with
> > sieve-auth-command.pl).

> it can often help if you give versions of the dovecot and pigeonhole as
> well as posting the config (dovecot -n) since people may be able to spot
> configuration errors.

sorry, you're right, I forgot it :(

# 2.2.13: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64  ext4
auth_mechanisms = plain login
mail_location = maildir:/var/spool/postfix/virtual/%d/%n
mail_privileged_group = vmail
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date ihave
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location = mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
plugin {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  quota = maildir:User quota
  quota_rule = *:storage=500M
  quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=+50M
  quota_rule3 = spam:ignore
  sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir = ~/sieve
}
protocols = imap pop3 lmtp sieve
service auth-worker {
  user = vmail
}
service auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0666
    user = postfix
  }
  unix_listener auth-userdb {
    mode = 0600
    user = vmail
  }
  user = dovecot
}
service imap-login {
  inet_listener imap {
    port = 143
  }
  inet_listener imaps {
    port = 993
    ssl = yes
  }
}
service lmtp {
  unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0600
    user = postfix
  }
}
service pop3-login {
  inet_listener pop3 {
    port = 110
  }
  inet_listener pop3s {
    port = 995
    ssl = yes
  }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/dovecot/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
protocol lmtp {
  mail_plugins = sieve
}
protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = quota sieve
}
protocol imap {
  mail_max_userip_connections = 20
  mail_plugin_dir = /usr/lib/dovecot/modules
  mail_plugins = quota imap_quota
}
protocol pop3 {
  mail_plugins = quota
}

> It may be an obvious thing, but do you have a vmail group in /etc/group?

sure,

# getent group | grep vmail
daemon:x:1:vmail
vmail:x:5000:vmail