Managesieve problem

John john at voipsupport.it
Sun Feb 3 17:44:44 EET 2019

On 2/3/19 2:09 PM, Hegedüs Ervin wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On Sun, Feb 03, 2019 at 09:56:38AM +0100, John Fawcett wrote:
>> On 01/02/2019 13:39, Ervin Hegedüs wrote:
>>> I'ld try to set up the managesieve (for RoundCube) - the sieve is
>>> works as well with dovecot (I mean my filters works perfectly).
>>>
>>> When I would try to connect to managesieve, I got an error, and
>>> mail.err contains:
>>>
>>> dovecot: managesieve(airween at mydomain.hu): Error: user airween at madomain.hu: Couldn't drop privileges: getgrnam(vmail) failed: Permission denied (in mail_privileged_group setting)
>>>
>>> Also I got it when I try to connect to port 4190 at localhost
>>> (with telnet), and send the generated AUTH string (with
>>> sieve-auth-command.pl).
>> it can often help if you give versions of the dovecot and pigeonhole as
>> well as posting the config (dovecot -n) since people may be able to spot
>> configuration errors.
> sorry, you're right, I forgot it :(
>
> # 2.2.13: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
> # OS: Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64  ext4
> auth_mechanisms = plain login
> mail_location = maildir:/var/spool/postfix/virtual/%d/%n
> mail_privileged_group = vmail
> managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
> managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date ihave
> namespace inbox {
>    inbox = yes
>    location = mailbox Drafts {
>      special_use = \Drafts
>    }
>    mailbox Junk {
>      special_use = \Junk
>    }
>    mailbox Sent {
>      special_use = \Sent
>    }
>    mailbox "Sent Messages" {
>      special_use = \Sent
>    }
>    mailbox Trash {
>      special_use = \Trash
>    }
>    prefix =
> }
> passdb {
>    args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
>    driver = sql
> }
> plugin {
>    args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
>    quota = maildir:User quota
>    quota_rule = *:storage=500M
>    quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=+50M
>    quota_rule3 = spam:ignore
>    sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
>    sieve_dir = ~/sieve
> }
> protocols = imap pop3 lmtp sieve
> service auth-worker {
>    user = vmail
> }
> service auth {
>    unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/auth {
>      group = postfix
>      mode = 0666
>      user = postfix
> [...]

Checking further, the managesieve-login process is chrooted by default.
I wonder if it can then read /etc/group. Are you using
mail_privileged_group because of the permissions on your mail storage
directories would not otherwise allow them to be accessed? If not you
could try to just set mail_privileged_group to blank and restart dovecot.

John