How to backup maildir

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Feb 10 15:37:08 EET 2019

On 2/10/19 8:21 AM, Christoph Haas wrote:
> Hello Robert,
>
> [... snip ...]
>
> of course I'm totally with you: asking other people for help, is often
> a good - if even not the only way to getting things done. It was not
> my intention to insult you! I hope this did not come in to your mind ...

You did not insult me at all.  I have taken stronger barbs over the years!

> Personally I would have a look at the mentioned Dovecot-backup-script
> as a start. It does really a very good job! Cudos to Klaus Tachtler!

That is on top of my list.  Thanks for the pointer.

> Another option could be, to sync your mail via mbsync/isync or
> offlineimap to your Notebook ... but as an alternative backup, it
> depends on how many users are on your Dovecot-server.

I have 4 domains., 20+ users.  Small stuff.  I suspect that would only
work for me, and I have my processes in place.

> In a second cycle, you can then extend or modify this script - as I
> have been doing.
>
> But you should bear in mind, that you should have at least 2-3
> replicas of your data on different storage, for having a good backup.

The local image is for 'fast' backup.  This will then be rsynced to a
server in my neighbor's house (we have ethernet between us.  He lunches
off my ISP connection, he hosts my 'offsite' backups).