Using SHA256/512 for SQL based password

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Feb 12 18:05:25 EET 2019

I have trying to find how to set the dovecot-sql.conf for using
SHA256/512.  I am going to start clean with the stronger format, not
migrate from the old MD5.  It seems all I need is:

driver = mysql connect = host=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock dbname=postfix
user=postfix password=$Postfix_Database_Password default_pass_scheme =
SHAxxx-CRYPT # following should all be on one line. password_query =
SELECT username as user, password, concat('/home/vmail/', maildir) as
userdb_home, concat('maildir:/home/vmail/', maildir) as userdb_mail, 101
as userdb_uid, 12 as userdb_gid FROM mailbox WHERE username = '%u' AND
active = '1' # following should all be on one line user_query = SELECT
concat('/home/vmail/', maildir) as home, concat('maildir:/home/vmail/',
maildir) as mail, 101 AS uid, 12 AS gid,
CONCAT('*:messages=30000:bytes=', quota) as quota_rule FROM mailbox
WHERE username = '%u' AND active = '1'

where xxx is either 256 or 512. All the rest I have been finding in my
searches concern converting the format and are not needed for a clean start?

thanks