index problems after update

Hajo Locke Hajo.Locke at gmx.de
Thu Feb 21 10:53:03 EET 2019

Hello,

Am 20.02.2019 um 10:39 schrieb Aki Tuomi via dovecot:
>> On 18 February 2019 09:28 Hajo Locke via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org> wrote:
>>

>> Hello,
>>
>>   it seems we need a dovecot developers opinion. May be we hit a bug or cant help ourselves.

Thanks for your answer.
> Core dump with backtrace would help, if possible to acquire. Please refer to https://dovecot.org/bugreport.html for information how to get a core dump.
>
> Aki

Unfortunately its hard to get a backtrace because dovecot is not
crashing. so it seems to be more a kind of logic problem in code and no
unexpected situation.
yesterday evening i had next incident. I upgraded from 2.2.33.2 to
2.2.36.1, but same behaviour. Also 2.2.36.1 is tricked by the broken
index and delivers no new mails. it starts delivering if i delete index
files. At this point i cant tell if 2.2.36.1 also has same bug and
writes a damaged index, but very likely.  We dont know this problems
with 2.2.22, between 2.2.22 and 2.2.33.2 a change on mbox-index code
must happend which leads to this big problem. So imapd cant do what he
was created for.

For next incident i prepared a 2.3.2.1 on base of Ubuntu 18.10 and will
try this. In my opinion this is a major problem and i expect a lot of
affected people with version > 2.2.22 and classic mbox-storage.

Thanks,
Hajo