index problems after update

Hajo Locke Hajo.Locke at gmx.de
Thu Feb 21 14:27:44 EET 2019

Hello,

Am 21.02.2019 um 12:18 schrieb Sami Ketola via dovecot:

>> On 21 Feb 2019, at 12.23, Hajo Locke via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org> wrote:
>> I think mbox+procmail is a classic setup and wide used and good solution for many usecases. Same setup we use many years.
>> We run ~2 mio mailboxes. our automated systems depends on this setup. creating mailboxes, managing mailboxes, creating automated filterrules, backupsystem to tell something of them. we can not switch our whole mailsetup to work around this bug.
>> How to get a dump if dovecot not crashing but has wrong behaviour? I would like to help and provide useful info, but it depends on kind of problem.
>> I think if a classic setup is not working in dovecot any more, this is a serious problem.
> In you first email to this thread it says:
>
>> Feb  8 08:45:37 hostname dovecot[14882]: imap(myuser): Fatal: master: service(imap): child 14135 killed with signal 6 (core dumped)
yes, but this is not 2.2.33.2 from Ubuntu 18.04, this happend after
update to 2.2.36.1
I try to get a coredump from 2.2.36.1, but after my tests the basic
behaviour is the same as in 2.2.33.2 -> no new mails and no errormessage.
so iam not sure if this is really same problem or different.
I was able now to catch a coredump of 2.2.36.1
I hope this is helpful and leads to the original problem. output of bt
full is here: https://pastebin.com/awdpN4U3

> So imap is crashing and even dumping a core.
>
> Also I must disagree with your mbox+procmail statement. mbox has always been very unoptimised mailbox format and everyone should be emphasised not to use it.
> Also that combination has always had problems with indexing and file locking. I would not use it on high volume mailservers. Or even medium volume mailservers.
Thats true, but worked for long years with dovecot.  mbox+procmail long
time was only possibility to store mails and iam sure a lot of people
use it. Was there an official statement that support for mbox+procmail
was dropped?
Ubuntu 18.04 is fairly new OS and they offer still no 2.3 version (may
be same bug), they offer 2.2.33.2 and i think this problem will reach
users just with a delay.
Please help, current situation is very unsatisfying.

> Sami

Thanks,
Hajo