index problems after update

Adi Pircalabu adi at ddns.com.au
Fri Feb 22 00:06:14 EET 2019

On 2019-02-21 22:18, Sami Ketola via dovecot wrote:
>> On 21 Feb 2019, at 12.23, Hajo Locke via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org>
>> wrote:
>> I think mbox+procmail is a classic setup and wide used and good
>> solution for many usecases. Same setup we use many years.
>> We run ~2 mio mailboxes. our automated systems depends on this setup.
>> creating mailboxes, managing mailboxes, creating automated
>> filterrules, backupsystem to tell something of them. we can not switch
>> our whole mailsetup to work around this bug.
>> How to get a dump if dovecot not crashing but has wrong behaviour? I
>> would like to help and provide useful info, but it depends on kind of
>> problem.
>> I think if a classic setup is not working in dovecot any more, this is
>> a serious problem.
>
> In you first email to this thread it says:
>
>> Feb  8 08:45:37 hostname dovecot[14882]: imap(myuser): Fatal: master:
>> service(imap): child 14135 killed with signal 6 (core dumped)
>
> So imap is crashing and even dumping a core.
>
> Also I must disagree with your mbox+procmail statement. mbox has
> always been very unoptimised mailbox format and everyone should be
> emphasised not to use it.
> Also that combination has always had problems with indexing and file
> locking. I would not use it on high volume mailservers. Or even medium
> volume mailservers.

Not directly affected by this issue since I'm not using mbox for any
production system nor have I for many years. And it'd take a lot of
effort to convince me to use mbox for anything someone would even dare
to classify, even remotely, as "production". But if I understand OP's
point of view correctly, he's not arguing necessarily for or against a
specific mailbox format. Instead, he's flagging a regression and people
will be very reluctant to upgrade or even adopt a certain feature in a
new release of a product if regressions are seen as acceptable.
Something that previously worked in an otherwise unchanged environment
stopped working after an upgrade and this is a regression. Trying to
convince people to move away from mbox is a very sensible approach, I'm
all for it, but in cases like this not practical.

--
Adi Pircalabu