Unexpected behavior with sieve_vacation_to_header_ignore_envelope = yes

Matthias Petermann matthias at petermann-it.de
Wed Feb 27 14:30:15 EET 2019

Hello,

we face an issue with the vacation extension of pigeonhole. Our upstream
mail server (from which we pull our E-Mails with POP3) uses SPF and
performs a SRS re-write of the Return Path. Once the mail is processed
via our local postfix, it is delivered via dovecot deliver (using the
lda). When the recipient has a vacation rule enabled in sieve, the
out-of-office note cannot be sent, as pigeonhole tries to use the
Return-Path (which is not accepted as sender by the mail server).

We are using the following dovecot / pigeonhole versions:

dovecot-2.3.2.1
dovecot-pigeonhole-0.5.2

As of my understanding, the problem was addressed in pigeonhole version
v0.4.21 by introducing the sieve_vacation_to_header_ignore_envelope
setting. Anyway - even when this is set to "yes" pigeonhole still uses
the Return-Path instead of the "From:" header which I had expected:

Feb 27 13:22:26 mail dovecot:
lda(customer)<48383><3o+yOQGBdlz/vAAAZU03Dg>: Error: sieve:
msgid=<e081d2ba-21d5-c32b-3750-69fe0c8a76d2 at petermann-it.de>: failed to
send vacation response to
SRS0=gwGXg6ad=RC=petermann-it.de=matthias at example.com: <Sendmail program
returned error> (temporary error)

Are my expectations wrong or did I miss some precondition?

Best regards,
Matthias

1) This is the email which I use to test (I replaced the actual domain
with example.com):