Localhost imap server fails after upgrade from 2.2.33.2-1 to 1:2.3.2.1

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Sun Jan 6 13:51:44 EET 2019

Op 31/12/2018 om 16:53 schreef Chris Barrington-Leigh:
> I then followed the instructions in the Warning lines above and now I
> get:
>
>  dovecot -n -c /home/meuser/dotfiles/auto-stanford-dovecot.conf
> # 2.3.2.1 (0719df592): /home/meuser/dotfiles/auto-stanford-dovecot.conf
> # Pigeonhole version 0.5.2 ()
> # OS: Linux 4.18.0-13-generic x86_64 Ubuntu 18.10 ext4
> # Hostname: cpbl-t450s
> mail_location =
> maildir:/home/meuser/imap/gmailStanford:LAYOUT=fs:INBOX=/home/meuser/imap/gmailStanford/INBOX
> service stats {
>   unix_listener stats-writer {
>     mode = 0666
>   }
> }
> ssl_dh =  # hidden, use -P to show it
> verbose_proctitle = yes
>

> However, this does not help my primary symptom:
>

> $ /usr/lib/dovecot/imap -c
> /home/meuser/dotfiles/auto-stanford-dovecot.conf
> imap(meuser,)Error: net_connect_unix(/var/run/dovecot/stats-writer)
> failed: Permission denied
> * PREAUTH [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE
> SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
> MULTIAPPEND URL-PARTIAL CATENATE UNSELECT CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS
> LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES
> WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS BINARY MOVE SNIPPET=FUZZY LITERAL+
> NOTIFY] Logged in as meuser

I notice that you use an explicit configuration file for your imap
invocation. Which likely means that this is something different from the
config used the main dovecot service running on your system. That
service block needs to be in the configuration of the dovecot instance
running the stats service (which is likely just the main
/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf). Given the location of your own config file,
I'm assuming you cannot manage the main dovecot instance?

BTW, there is a related thread with a different solution to this issue:

https://www.dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2019-January/114151.html

We're still working on getting that bug fixed, so that will not help you
immediately, unless you can patch dovecot.

BTW, I find it a bit weird that Alpine would fail on this. It is not a
fatal error, so the imap service will just work. The error is sent to
/dev/stderr, so I'd normally expect a service like Alpine to be able to
ignore output sent there.

The question below is about the same issue and their config suggests
that stderr is sent to a log file:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1104056/how-to-use-local-dovecot-imap-with-alpine-18-10-changes

So, I really don't understand what the core of the problem is. Why does
Alpine fail on this at all?

Regards,

Stephan.