[FTS Xapian] Beta release

Aki Tuomi aki.tuomi at open-xchange.com
Sun Jan 13 19:45:29 EET 2019

> On 13 January 2019 at 17:05 Joan Moreau via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org> wrote:
>

> Hi
>
> Please find attached the beta release of FTS Xapian, with the objective
> to replace fts_squat that is being deprecated.
>
> Configuration is exactly the same as for fts_squat:
>
> plugin {
>
> plugin = fts fts_xapian (...)
> fts = xapian
> fts_autoindex = yes
> fts_enforced = yes
> fts_xapian = partial=2 full=20
>
> This is installed on my production server (>120Gb of mailboxes), and I
> will observe it during the coming days.
>
> I will definitely appreciate that this is added in the core git of
> docevot, in order to have a versionning of it, to remove squat and let
> basic users able to avoid Solr alternative as much as possible.
>
> Thanks
>
> JM

Hi!

I still recommend you setup a, say, github repository for your plugin. We are not able to currently include your work in dovecot core as it is more work than just pushing the code into the repo. Maybe it can be included in the future.

If you want, I can help you in setting up the required configuration scripts and such to make it possible to compile it as plugin.

Then anyone can download it and install it for their dovecot, even if dovecot itself has been installed from packages, and also makes it possible for package maintainers to consider including it in distributions.

Aki