mbox 2 Maildir

Tamas Hegedus tamas at hegelab.org
Tue Jan 29 18:39:18 EET 2019

Hi,

I am not an professional system admin, but I am running a small debian
mail server for many years. It is time to migrate from mbox to Maildir.
There is a nice and clean description for doing this without service
downtime at https://wiki.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm/Sync
I have to set per-user config for mailbox type using userdb extra fields.

However, I miss some information and I can not find useful info by google.

1. The main question: dovecot will know that for some users the mailbox
format is still mbox, but others already have Maildir. I do not see any
hint that I should setup postfix/procmail for handling the delivery
per-user basis. But I think I have to set this, too.

2. I have not learned much about userdb and it seems that dovecot was
written for and used by experts. I mean that the docs/wiki is not enough
for me: from the wiki page of userdb it will be for me difficult to
setup one. Can you suggest some docs for dummies?

Thanks for your help, Tamas

dovecot --version 2.2.27 (c0f36b0)
postfix  3.1.8
procmail v3.23pre 2001/09/13