two lots of dovecot files

Felix Zielcke fzielcke at z-51.de
Mon Mar 4 19:25:35 EET 2019

Am Montag, den 04.03.2019, 15:27 +0000 schrieb mick crane via dovecot:
> hello
> is debian buster
> I have 2 sets of dovecot files, I don't know why.
> one in /etc/dovecot and one in /usr/share/dovecot
> they are not links they are actual files.
> if I rename /etc/dovecot and restart service then I get connection
> refused when use roundcube.
> Some time ago my roundcube installation stopped working properly for
> the
> web configuration options.
> Should I have these 2 directories or just want the one ?
> If want only one it's likely then that I configure wrong file with
> same
> name when I thought my ssl certificate has expired.
> Is OK to delete /etc/dovecot and check configuration in
> /usr/share/dovecot ?

Hi,

that's just the Debian packaging. In /usr/share/dovecot are the
original unmodified files for reference. They're not used at all for
the running dovecot.
The active ones, which you need to modify and get used by dovecot are
in /etc/dovecot.
There's no point to delete the files in /usr/share/dovecot because on
the next update of the dovecot packages they get installed again.

Regards
Felix