Assistance with doveadm backup...

Natu incoming-dovecot at rjl.com
Mon Mar 11 11:11:24 EET 2019

Well for the purpose of upgrading your server, you could do the following:

 1. Rsync your maildir directories to a backup directory
 2. repeat rsync again so most of your changed files have been synced
 3. shut down your dovecot and smtp servers
 4. rsync one more time - should be relatively fast
 5. restart your dovecot and smtp servers

Otherwise, just schedule downtime and use whatever backup method you
prefer. You will probably want to backup and then leave dovecot and smtp
server down until you've completed the dovecot upgrade anyway, so you
may as well schedule downtime for the entire process and do the dovecot
upgrade between steps 4 and 5 above.

Natu