Delayed flags changes over IDLE

Kostya Vasilyev kman at fastmail.com
Sun Mar 10 10:14:44 EET 2019

Hello,

I'm experiencing slow flags changes over IMAP IDLE:

- If I start an IDLE session / command
- Change the flags of some messages via another email app
- Dovecot can take a minute or more to notify the IDLE connection about flags changes

If I use another email app to add or remove a message, Dovecot sends that (EXISTS / EXPUNGE) instantly and also flushes the (so far delayed) flags changes. So it does "know" already.

The system is Debian Testing, 64 bit, file system is ext4.

Dovecot is 2.3.4.1 (f79e8e7e4) - I believe from Debian repos (I had Dovecot's own repo added at some point, disabled now).

My mail is stored under ~/mail/.imap (not sure what this format is called), I mean not "single file mbox".

I have not changed any IDLE related config settings:

doveconf  | grep -i idle
default_idle_kill = 1 mins
director_ping_idle_timeout = 30 secs
imap_idle_notify_interval = 2 mins
imapc_max_idle_time = 29 mins
mailbox_idle_check_interval = 30 secs

What can I do to make Dovecot notify IDLE clients about flags changes - more quickly? Preferably near-instant?

--
Kostya Vasilyev
kman at fastmail.com