Unable to set quota-fs plugin

Yassine Chaouche a.chaouche at algerian-radio.dz
Thu Mar 14 12:37:25 EET 2019

On 3/14/19 9:53 AM, Yassine Chaouche via dovecot wrote:

> On 3/13/19 2:10 PM, Eric Grammatico via dovecot wrote:
>> Thanks Aki,
>>
>> Please find attached strace for imap and quota-status which report an
>> error at the end.
>>
>> Regards,
>
> write(2, "/usr/libexec/dovecot/quota-statu"...,
> 57/usr/libexec/dovecot/quota-status: invalid option -- 'u'
>
> Please retry with the good options (-u is invalid)
>
> Yassine.

Ah, that seems to be the service that is called by the MTA before
delivering the mail to the LDA, in case the user is over quota, so that
the MTA may bounce the e-mail right away instead of accepting it first
then bouncing afterwards (after the LDA refuses the message).

But according to the error message you posted on your first e-mail, the
error happens with imap, I don't know if quota-status is involved here
(might be) ?

In any case, I would concentrate on imap and not quota-status. Nothing
in the imap strace shows any trace of errors. Particulary, I was looking
for a quotactl line in the strace, but I couldn't find it.

In the other hand, it is present in the doveadm quota strace, and has
completed successfully

dovecot.strace:quotactl(QCMD(Q_GETQUOTA, USRQUOTA), "/dev/vda1", 1000,
{dqb_bhardlimit=4194304, dqb_bsoftlimit=3170304, dqb_curspace=638853120,
dqb_ihardlimit=0, dqb_isoftlimit=0, dqb_curinodes=12784, ...}) = 0

Someone has to tell us under what conditions will the imap daemon check
for quota (at login ? at delivery or any other action involving moving
mail around like copying or expunging ?)

For the quota-status libexec, I have set it to run with quota-status -f
postfix but your setup may vary (if it's every configured).  If it is
running, you can just grep it's pid with pgrep quota-status then strace
-p $PID and see how it behaves (wait until a quota operation is needed).

Yassine.