mail_crypt not working on incoming messages?

Dave dave at momentumweb.com
Fri Mar 22 19:36:48 EET 2019

[Dovecot v2.2.33.2]

I'm testing out mail_crypt on a fresh Dovecot install to get a feel for
how it works, but I'm running into something unexpected.

The mail_crypt plugin does seem to be working, but NOT on incoming
email.  What I mean is, if I send a test email to the server that has
Dovecot installed, the message correctly arrives in the user's Maildir
folder (I'm using Maildir format, not mbox), as I can see the mail
message file appear.  However, the message file is in plaintext and is
not encrypted.  But, if, using my Thunderbird email client connected to
that account via IMAP, I move that message out of the inbox of that
account to a folder on another account, and then move it back in to the
original inbox, the file that appears in the Maildir folder structure IS
encrypted.

I have confirmed that mail_crypt is active in 10-mail.conf,
20-imap.conf, and 20-pop3.conf.  The global public and private keys are
working because (a) there are no errors and (b) it DOES encrypt -- just
not on incoming email.  mail_crypt_save_version is set 2, as per the
docs for Dovecot 2 instruct.

What am I missing?  Does anyone have any thoughts as to why JUST
incoming messages aren't encrypted, but that messages moved into the
IMAP account DO get encrypted?  Did I set up something incorrectly? I'm
using sendmail as the MTA, if that matters, and messages are routed to
the user's Maildir folder structure using a .procmailrc in that user's
home folder.
-Dave