Server administration

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Sep 2 11:08:18 EEST 2019

Am 2019-09-02 09:55, schrieb Michael Hallager via dovecot:
>> 1. Add/remove e-mail address
>>
>> 2. Change user e-mail address password
>>
>> 3. Add user e-mail address into mail alias
>>
>> 4. Forward e-mail
>>
>> 5. List all users e-mails
>
> I agree with Mark.
>
> We can't answer them anyway because we don't know what backend you are
> using. Typically all of the above would be done in an SQL database
> with queries which you have written into various config files like
> /etc/postfix/main.conf and /etc/dovecot/conf.d/auth-sql.conf.ext (and
> likely others!)

No, please don't spread the info that you would need an SQL DB for
running a mail service. Unless you run a big install with lots of
accounts where it can be handy to use some sort of meta tool (modoboa,
postfixadmin, ...) there is zero need for an SQL backend. And in
enterprise environments you would normally use an LDAP / AD
infrastructure component where your user base lives.

Anyhow, someone like the OP who appears not to be much experienced in
the field of running his own mail service should not get the idea a
database backend is what he really needs. Start KISS and master all the
complex requirements in a simple manner first.

Or outsource the task to a mail service provider.

Alexander