Server administration

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Wed Sep 4 16:34:22 EEST 2019

On 2 Sep 2019, at 02:08, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
> Unless you run a big install with lots of accounts where it can be handy to use some sort of meta tool (modoboa, postfixadmin, ...) there is zero need for an SQL backend.

It is much easier to manage users, even a few users, via a database than dealing with local users. (Having manage both for years and years and finally having moved everyone into a database I’ve spent a lot of time on this, a database back end is better.

And even without having a large user base, a tool like postfixadmin lets the user do some of their management themselves (changing passwords, creating aliases, etc).

> Anyhow, someone like the OP who appears not to be much experienced in the field of running his own mail service should not get the idea a database backend is what he really needs. Start KISS and master all the complex requirements in a simple manner first.

Since local users open a security hole into your mail server, I would argue that virtual users *is* keeping it simple, also, if you end up with many users in the future you will need to got to a database of some sort anyway, whether SQL-like or LDAP like, so you might as well do it from the start. I’d say SQL is simpler to deal with than LDAP, but I also have more experience with SQL, so I would.

> Or outsource the task to a mail service provider.

Yes, this is the best choice.

--
Q: how do you titillate an ocelot?  A: you oscillate its tit a lot.