Dovecot and Apple's Mail.app not playing nicely?

Gerald Galster list+dovecot at gcore.biz
Tue Sep 3 16:12:38 EEST 2019

Hi Coy,

> Is there anything cute one has to take into account when using Dovecot with users of Apple’s Mail.app?
> Behavior I’m seeing is that if I delete or move messages via Webmail (Roundcube, Horde, or even ActiveSync
> via Mail.app on my phone), they do get moved or deleted.  However, if I take the same actions in the desktop
> mail client, when logging in to the Webmail (or phone) app, I see the messages still seeming to be in the Inbox.
>
> Is this known behavior? A peculiarity in Apple Mail?

I don't see this behavior with Apple Mail 12.4 / MacOS 10.14.6 (using imap, as pop3 does not support folders).

You could configure mail_log_events and see what happens:

plugin {
  # Events to log. Also available: flag_change append
  mail_log_events = delete undelete expunge copy mailbox_delete mailbox_rename
  # Available fields: uid, box, msgid, from, subject, size, vsize, flags
  # size and vsize are available only for expunge and copy events.
  mail_log_fields = uid box msgid size subject
}

When I move an email into another folder with Apple Mail it's moved on the server immediately.
Upon deletion it might get flagged as deleted and expunged later (probably a month after).
You can right click on the folder and choose "Erase Deleted Items" to remove them from the server,
or configure the time span in Mail's preferences.

Best regards
Gerald