Quota and maildir does not work with subfolders of INBOX

Mark Moseley moseleymark at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 23:09:12 EEST 2019

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 8:57 PM Niels Kobschätzki via dovecot <
dovecot at dovecot.org> wrote:

> On 9/9/19 6:18 PM, @lbutlr via dovecot wrote:
> > On 9 Sep 2019, at 09:27, Niels Kobschätzki <niels at kobschaetzki.net>
> wrote:
> >> The moment I remove those folders, the size gets calculated correctly.
> Unfortunately those folders are generated by some clients automatically
> afaik (like .INBOX.Trash)
> >> That sounds like a misconfiguration of the IMAP client. Someone has
> gone in and improperly set INBOX as the IMAP path Prefix in their MUA.
>
> The thing is that it worked before. Even when the user misconfigured
> their client in such a way, the quota-plugin shouldn't just throw some
> dice to get to a arbitrarily high quota the user has used instead of the
> right amount.
>
> > I used to have this problem with some users until I implemented repeated
> and consistent application of a clue bat.
>
> Some users is in my case (as far as I guess) like 0.5%
>
> > I don’t know of a server-side setting to prevent users from screwing up
> this setting, but maybe?
>
> Wouldn't that break existing accounts?

Does it sound like this?
https://www.dovecot.nl/pipermail/dovecot/2019-March/115214.html

If so, in a direct email, Timo suggested using the 'count' quota (instead
of the Maildir++ quota). I've not yet been able to test that to verify, due
to the large amount of mailboxes and the reliance on maildirsize file for
some of our tools.