NFS Locking and Submission Service Authentication

Asai asai at globalchangemusic.org
Wed Sep 25 20:44:45 EEST 2019

Greetings,

We're in the process of upgrading our Dovecot server to new hardware and
new expanded storage.  We planned on using an NFS share for the mail
storage, as we're running Postfix / Dovecot on a VM and wanted to
separate out the mail storage from the VM for backup reasons.

I read as much as I could find on line regarding configuring Dovecot to
use NFS, and set it up as best I could, but I'm still running into lock
errors e.g.:

Sep 25 10:30:35 triata4 dovecot: imap(user at triata.globalchange.media)<75580><enQ/AWSTkQkKCgDu>: Error: fcntl(/vmail/triata.globalchange.media/user/dovecot.index.log, write-lock, F_SETLKW) locking failed: No locks available
Sep 25 10:30:35 triata4 dovecot: imap(user at triata.globalchange.media)<75580><enQ/AWSTkQkKCgDu>: Error: mail_index_wait_lock_fd() failed with file /vmail/triata.globalchange.media/user/dovecot.index.log: No locks available

Also, I have been trying to configure the Dovecot submission service to
authenticate with Postfix, but I keep running into errors which are
related to how I'm configuring the authentication.  How do we set the
user at domain and password string for submission in the configs?

Thank you.

Please see doveconf -n below, if you see any other errors in this
config, I'd be grateful if you pointed them out:

# 2.3.7.2 (3c910f64b): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# Pigeonhole version 0.5.7.2 (7372921a)
# OS: Linux 3.10.0-957.27.2.el7.x86_64 x86_64 CentOS Linux release
7.6.1810 (Core)  nfs
auth_debug = yes
auth_debug_passwords = yes
auth_mechanisms = plain login
auth_verbose = yes
auth_verbose_passwords = plain
debug_log_path = /var/log/dovecot-debug.log
deliver_log_format = msgid=%m: from=%f: %$
hostname = triata.globalchange.media
mail_debug = yes
mail_fsync = always
mail_home = /vmail/%d/%n/home
mail_location = maildir:/vmail/%d/%n
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope
encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric
relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify
environment mailbox date index ihave duplicate mime foreverypart extracttext
namespace inbox {
   inbox = yes
   location =
   mailbox Drafts {
     special_use = \Drafts
   }
   mailbox Junk {
     special_use = \Junk
   }
   mailbox Sent {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox "Sent Messages" {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox Trash {
     special_use = \Trash
   }
   prefix =
   separator = /
   type = private
}
passdb {
   args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-mysql.conf
   driver = sql
}
plugin {
   mail_log_fields = uid box msgid from flags
   sieve = file:/vmail/%d/%n/sieve;active=/vmail/%d/%n/.dovecot.sieve
}
protocols = imap lmtp submission sieve
service auth {
     mode = 0666
   }
   unix_listener auth-userdb {
     group = vmail
     mode = 0666
     user = vmail
   }
}
service imap-login {
   inet_listener imap {
     port = 143
   }
   inet_listener imaps {
     port = 993
     ssl = yes
   }
}
service lmtp {
   unix_listener lmtp {
     mode = 0666
   }
}
service managesieve-login {
   inet_listener sieve {
     port = 4190
   }
   process_min_avail = 0
   service_count = 1
   vsz_limit = 64 M
}
service managesieve {
   process_limit = 1024
}
service submission-login {
   inet_listener submission {
     port = 587
   }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/letsencrypt/live/triata.globalchange.media/fullchain.pem
ssl_key = # hidden, use -P to show it
submission_relay_host = triata.globalchange.media
submission_relay_password = # hidden, use -P to show it
submission_relay_port = 587
submission_relay_ssl = starttls
submission_relay_trusted = yes
submission_relay_user = %u