sieve question

Ralph Seichter abbot at monksofcool.net
Tue Apr 21 20:54:44 EEST 2020

* mj:

> Our autoreply message reads: "Your email has not been read nor
> forwarded", which is also the case, forcing the sender to take action.

No, it does not. An auto-reply message, even if it is actually read by
the sender, can be ignored without penalty. An MTA rejection puts the
ball into the sender's court because the message has never been accepted
by the recipient's MX. By the way, a rejection is "legally safe", while
your catch-all-and-let-messages-rot approach is not, in case you have
not considered that.

Of course, you can do as you please, but that does not change the facts
and mechanics involved.

-Ralph