Dovecot and thunderbird authentication issue?

David Mehler dave.mehler at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 02:22:58 EEST 2020

Hello,

I got the issue fixed. Here's what it was, and my understanding is a
little vague in some areas. I use letsencrypt for my certificates and
one of the options I pass to acme.sh is the --ocsp option. This works
fine for web servers apparently, but for some reason and here I get
muddy depending on what I'm reading on Google, both Dovecot and
Postfix do not support OCSP stapling, so when Thunderbird asks Dovecot
about an OCSP response gets back faulty, invalid, or nothing, (I did
say my knowledge was muddy) Thunderbird apparently concludes the
certificate is invalid, expired, or whatever, and doesn't accept it.

This problem only occurs with Thunderbird, my phone with various email
clients, and Outlook 2010 all work great, so I was unwilling to mess
around with my certificates. What I ended up doing was going in to
thunderbird's configuration editor and searching for ocsp there were a
bunch of options, I turned all that were on or enabled off, restarted
Thunderbird, and it fired right up.

Thanks and hope this helps someone.
Dave.