Incremental purge?

Fabien KOCIK postmaster at kocik.fr
Mon Aug 24 08:12:25 EEST 2020

Hi,

I think you can achieve file range approach using a small piece of shell
script.

First, extract user list using doveadm users '*'.
Then process this list to fit your needs (seven parts for a week and a
part processed by week day for example).
Finally, use -u option of doveadm purge into a loop.

That is just a trivial first idea. You can notice that it will trigger a
doveadm process per user, that seems to be less than optimum approach.

According do the documentation
(https://wiki.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm/Purge), doveadm purge allow
using a user *mask* as -u option. This feature can be usefull if you
have a strict nameplan of your mailboxes : you can then calculate parts
with a touchy mask.

Regards.

Fabien