Email Server Backup Strategy

Andrew McGlashan andrew.mcglashan at affinityvision.com.au
Sun Feb 9 20:08:27 EET 2020

Hi,

On 10/2/20 4:59 am, Francis Augusto Medeiros-Logeay wrote:
> What I do:
>
> 1 - I ran a maildirlock command to my mail folder 2 - I then rsync
> the folder where my maildirs are, as well as the indexes, to a
> remote location

If rsync is not fast... then how about doing a snapshot and then rsync
off the snapshot?  (I do rsync over lvm snapshots to back up file
systems cleanly) and, btw, perform file system dumps [ufsdump /
ufsrestore like, but dump and restore on Linux] of *non-mounted*
backup file systems fwiw.

I have other rsyncs that happen via rsnapshot during the day, I don't
worry about snapshotting them though, but I probably should....

> 3 - I tar.gz the daily backup 4 - I kill the maildirlock process
>
> I also use replication of my server so that I keep getting mail
> when my main server isn't available.

You mean backup mx?

> As for postfix, I backup the database once a week, since it doesn't
> get changed that often.
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> Best,
>
> Francis
>

> On 09.02.2020 18:26, Esteban L wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Was thinking it would be wise to backup my server, in case
>> anything "bad" ever happened, so that I could quickly get up to
>> speed.
>>
>> 1. clone the whole drive -- which might be the best to ensure I
>> keep the whole system working.
>>
>> 2. But, what about, if I just wanted to backup my Email server
>> components? Postfix - which I think is just config files, and
>> Dovecot - I think there is a doveadm backup for doing such
>> things.
>>
>> What do you guys do, recommend for backups??
>>
>> Thanks

Cheers

- --
Andrew McGlashan