Split storage & solr

Daniel Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Wed Jan 29 23:37:55 EET 2020

Is it possible to setup the following:

1. Primary mailserver with SMTP solutions and Dovecot.
2. Primary server will store recent mails.
3. Secondary server for archival storage and Solr.

So I'm not looking for a distributed cluster - simply a splitting of
designated functions. Clients would only be connecting to the primary
server. I know Dovecot supports an alternate storage location - that's
what made me think this was possible. What I'm more uncertain of is
Solr.

My (probably flawed) thinking is to take advantage of a low-cost
high-availability cloud server to provide primary email services.
Dovecot, Postfix, and even ASSP don't have significant memory or
processor requirements by themselves - especially for my smaller user
base.  However - storage in the cloud can be at a premium. Therefore I'm
thinking of continuing to self-host the archives.  And my own server has
the raw power & memory to handle Solr easily.  What's triggering this is
our ISP's quality has been deteriorating - and the alternates don't
appear much better.

Initial visualization would have a VPN/SSH connection between the
servers, and NFS mounting my storage to the cloud server for archives.
If our connection drops - in theory "current" mail handling is
unaffected.

My concerns/questions:
1. If Dovecot is unable to reach the remote Solr - upon re-connection
will Solr be told about the new messages to index? Or do I need to setup
a periodic re-scan?
2. Is there a "better" method of accessing the archive storage area than
NFS? Either a different network file system or is there a way to do it
with Dovecot directly?
3. What am I not taking into consideration in this setup that you think
will be a problem?

---
Daniel