Split storage & solr

Sami Ketola Sami.Ketola at Open-Xchange.com
Thu Jan 30 10:02:48 EET 2020

> On 29 Jan 2020, at 23.37, Daniel Miller <dmiller at amfes.com> wrote:
>
> Is it possible to setup the following:
>
> 1. Primary mailserver with SMTP solutions and Dovecot.
> 2. Primary server will store recent mails.
> 3. Secondary server for archival storage and Solr.
>
> So I'm not looking for a distributed cluster - simply a splitting of designated functions. Clients would only be connecting to the primary server. I know Dovecot supports an alternate storage location - that's what made me think this was possible. What I'm more uncertain of is Solr.
>
> My (probably flawed) thinking is to take advantage of a low-cost high-availability cloud server to provide primary email services. Dovecot, Postfix, and even ASSP don't have significant memory or processor requirements by themselves - especially for my smaller user base.  However - storage in the cloud can be at a premium. Therefore I'm thinking of continuing to self-host the archives.  And my own server has the raw power & memory to handle Solr easily.  What's triggering this is our ISP's quality has been deteriorating - and the alternates don't appear much better.
>
> Initial visualization would have a VPN/SSH connection between the servers, and NFS mounting my storage to the cloud server for archives. If our connection drops - in theory "current" mail handling is unaffected.
>
> My concerns/questions:
> 1. If Dovecot is unable to reach the remote Solr - upon re-connection will Solr be told about the new messages to index? Or do I need to setup a periodic re-scan?
> 2. Is there a "better" method of accessing the archive storage area than NFS? Either a different network file system or is there a way to do it with Dovecot directly?
> 3. What am I not taking into consideration in this setup that you think will be a problem?

Just have two separate installations and send a copy of all emails to the archive server at MTA level. Then at primary server setup autoexpunge to keep copy only of the most recent mails.
Then you can connect your archive to the primary server with imapc connector if needed.

Sami