John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Fri Jun 5 21:18:27 EEST 2020

>>>>> "Stephen" == Stephen Blackwell <stephenmac98 at gmail.com> writes:

Stephen> I want to disable the time penalty for dovecot imap
Stephen> authentication. When receiving a valid user-password combo
Stephen> the server responds in .04 seconds. When I send in an invalid
Stephen> comination it will either respond in 1.544 or 2.044 seconds
Stephen> += .002

Stephen> I am using dovecot to test a program that sends a login
Stephen> request to a server and processes the response. I want to be
Stephen> able to send a series of valid and invalid login attempts.

Stephen> The issue is that with the 2 seconds delay for a bad login
Stephen> attempt, the tests are too slow to run in production

Why are you running tests on production?  Hmm?

Stephen> I can see that the delay is defined in auth-penalty.h Is
Stephen> there a way, in the config file, to set
Stephen> AUTH_PENALTY_INIT_SECS = 0, or any other way to remove the
Stephen> time delay for an invalid login.

Take a look at this page:

https://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication/Penalty

but maybe you can put your test IP into the list of trusted networks?

John