Doveadm Backup issues

Bernardo Reino reinob at bbmk.org
Sat Jun 6 02:09:34 EEST 2020

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020, Francis Augusto Medeiros-Logeay wrote:

> Another related question: if backing up on another location on the same
> computer, using -A doesn't seem to recreate the structure of the original
> Maildir (for example, /var/mail/%d%n).
>
> Is there a way to do that?

If I understand your question correctly (I may be missing context), you
can use dsync for that, e.g.:

DEST=mdbox:/path/to/$MAILBOX/mdbox
dsync -u $MAILBOX backup $DEST

where DEST is in "mail location" format (could also be "maildir:/path/to/Maildir")
and $MAILBOX is a dovecot (virtual) user.

My backup script does this:

USERS=$(cat /etc/dovecot/virtual_passwd | cut -d: -f1)
for MAILBOX in $USERS; do
         DEST=mdbox:/encrypted/snap_mail/$MAILBOX/mdbox
         dsync -v -u $MAILBOX backup $DEST
done

This runs periodically and does the local "backup".
Another server picks that up, also periodically, using rsync, which is the
real backup.

Cheers.