Doveadm Backup issues

Francis Augusto Medeiros-Logeay r_f at med-lo.eu
Sat Jun 6 07:41:59 EEST 2020

On 6 Jun 2020, at 01:10, Bernardo Reino <reinob at bbmk.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Jun 2020, Francis Augusto Medeiros-Logeay wrote:
>
>> Another related question: if backing up on another location on the same computer, using -A doesn't seem to recreate the structure of the original Maildir (for example, /var/mail/%d%n).
>>
>> Is there a way to do that?
>
> If I understand your question correctly (I may be missing context), you can use dsync for that, e.g.:
>
> DEST=mdbox:/path/to/$MAILBOX/mdbox
> dsync -u $MAILBOX backup $DEST
>
> where DEST is in "mail location" format (could also be "maildir:/path/to/Maildir")
> and $MAILBOX is a dovecot (virtual) user.
>
> My backup script does this:
>
> USERS=$(cat /etc/dovecot/virtual_passwd | cut -d: -f1)
> for MAILBOX in $USERS; do
>        DEST=mdbox:/encrypted/snap_mail/$MAILBOX/mdbox
>        dsync -v -u $MAILBOX backup $DEST
> done
>
> This runs periodically and does the local "backup".
> Another server picks that up, also periodically, using rsync, which is the real backup.
>
> Cheers.

Thanks Bernardo. That’s what I want to do. But it’s just that it is confusing when there is a -A parameter that backups up all users, but apparently no way to specify individual paths on the destination. So I guess the -A option is only useful when backing up to a remote location that already has the same set of users.

It would be nice to be able to soecify a format for the destination path without having use loops. But loop it is, then. :)

Best,

Francis