Dovecot /VMWare Boxer

Djule Djukic djule.djukic at hb.co.me
Thu Jun 11 16:46:24 EEST 2020

Hello all,

My name is Djule Djukic and I am working for Hipotekarna Banka from
Montenegro.
We are using IMAP email server Dovecot version 2.1.17. As a email
clients on our corporate workstations we are using Thunderbird or
WebMail and everything is working fine.

We decided to introduce MDM solution in our environment and we installed
VMWare WorkspaceOne (former Airwatch) which use Boxer as a mail client
in App per VPN scenario.
When we syncronise email with  Boxer  we have found that the time and
date displayed for some messages  have been changed to the time at which
the file was synchronized.

This is not hapening with all messages. It is happening only with
messages in subfolders, never with Inbox.
It seems when messages is moved by some rule from WebMail or Thunderbird
from Inbox to some subfolder, Boxer is not able to read dates correctly,

By seraching on Internet we found couple of explanation what might be
possibel cause of this behaviour.
https://imapsync.lamiral.info/FAQ.d/FAQ.Dates.txt
https://serverfault.com/questions/588618/maintain-email-timestamp-when-transferring-between-email-servers-using-an-email
https://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2008-July/032165.html

Problem with some email clients is that they not look always for "Date:"
from email message header. The "Date:" header is usually the date the
message was written or sent the first time, at the writer side.
This "Date:" header line is never changed by any transfer or copy.
If an email client uses the "Date:" header for displaying the date of a
message then no problem in synchronization with wrong date should arise.
Obviously this is not a case with a Boxer email application.
We tried GMail and everything is working fine.

We are wondering if someone can explain what APPEND command could have
done in our case? Is it relevant at all for our case? Is it used somehow
by thunderbird or webmail clients?
Also we would like to hear from someone if there are some improvemnents
in further release of dovecot or some configuration that we can
implement in order to fix this?

Thank you in advanced for your suggestions and contribution,

Đule Đukić

Specijalista za informacionu bezbjednost / ISO

http://www.hipotekarnabanka.com/hb-content/uploads/2014/06/slika1.jpg