handling spam from gmail.

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 05:28:15 EEST 2020

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020, Andreas Born wrote:

> Maybe, and I really hope so, this problem no longer exists. I will
> immediately reconfigure my mail system, if rejecting mails after DATA will be
> safe and reliable nowadays.

In particular, bots don't hang around for the DATA response.

Any MTA that ignores SMTP responses for the DATA step would also ignore
common conditions like full mailbox.  Such brokeness and failure to
follow RFC is by itself grounds to reject the mail until the MTA software
is fixed.

One blacklist operator actually uses this as a criteria for blacklisting

 	(Section: Tracking use of QUIT)
 	http://wiki.junkemailfilter.com/index.php/Spam_DNS_Lists

I issue post-DATA return codes, and I have yet, in decades of use, had
problems with legitimate senders.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>