handling spam from gmail.

Andreas Born dovecot at abotech.de
Fri Jun 12 06:31:45 EEST 2020

Am 12.06.2020 um 04:28 schrieb Joseph Tam:

> On Fri, 12 Jun 2020, Andreas Born wrote:
>
>> Maybe, and I really hope so, this problem no longer exists. I will
>> immediately reconfigure my mail system, if rejecting mails after DATA
>> will be safe and reliable nowadays.
>
> In particular, bots don't hang around for the DATA response.
>
> Any MTA that ignores SMTP responses for the DATA step would also ignore
> common conditions like full mailbox.  Such brokeness and failure to
> follow RFC is by itself grounds to reject the mail until the MTA software
> is fixed.

Ok, that really makes sense.

> One blacklist operator actually uses this as a criteria for blacklisting
>
>      (Section: Tracking use of QUIT)
>      http://wiki.junkemailfilter.com/index.php/Spam_DNS_Lists

That's helpful, thanks!

> I issue post-DATA return codes, and I have yet, in decades of use, had
> problems with legitimate senders.

I too had never problems with legitimate senders. (of course, they don't
get rejected)

But I had -long ago- problems with large providers like gmx, hotmail or
yahoo. E.g., sending rejected mails again and again, even sending DSNs
to their (forged and forwarded) senders. But as said, long ago.

So times have changed, that's great.

/ Andreas