Dovecot Debian repo instructions need updating

Laura Smith n5d9xq3ti233xiyif2vp at protonmail.ch
Thu Aug 5 18:20:03 EEST 2021

On Thursday, August 5th, 2021 at 4:06 PM, Lucas Castro <lucas at gnuabordo.com.br> wrote:

> On 8/5/21 8:42 AM, Laura Smith wrote:
>
> > Re: https://doc.dovecot.org/installation_guide/dovecot_community_repositories/debian_packages/
> >
> > The instructions need updating for two reasons:
> >
> > 1.  Keep up to date with Debian releases (https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases), i.e. remove reference to 8.0 "Jessie" and replace with 10.0 "Buster".
>
> To "replace", I guess it should me added instruction for others versions.

There is very little point supporting EOL systems.  As per the table in the link I provided, 8.0 Jessie is EOL unless you are paying money to Debian for ELTS subscription.

> Not (exactly) needed secure connection. Debian will check the package
>
> using gpg,
>
> Neither official repositories enforce secure connection.
>
> As you said "The key MUST be downloaded over secure connection"
>
> the key, not the package, the package must be signed by the key.

I am not sure what the point you are trying to make here is ?

There is no argument that what I am asking for MUST be done.

The Debian link I referred to explains in much detaily WHY it is important.