Dovecot Debian repo instructions need updating

Lucas Castro lucas at gnuabordo.com.br
Thu Aug 5 18:29:24 EEST 2021

Please, reply to list only!

On 8/5/21 12:20 PM, Laura Smith wrote:

> On Thursday, August 5th, 2021 at 4:06 PM, Lucas Castro <lucas at gnuabordo.com.br> wrote:
>
>> On 8/5/21 8:42 AM, Laura Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Re: https://doc.dovecot.org/installation_guide/dovecot_community_repositories/debian_packages/
>>>
>>> The instructions need updating for two reasons:
>>>
>>> 1.  Keep up to date with Debian releases (https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases), i.e. remove reference to 8.0 "Jessie" and replace with 10.0 "Buster".
>> To "replace", I guess it should me added instruction for others versions.
> There is very little point supporting EOL systems.  As per the table in the link I provided, 8.0 Jessie is EOL unless you are paying money to Debian for ELTS subscription.

I really don't know where you read about payment for ELTS subscription.

>> Not (exactly) needed secure connection. Debian will check the package
>>
>> using gpg,
>>
>> Neither official repositories enforce secure connection.
>>
>> As you said "The key MUST be downloaded over secure connection"
>>
>> the key, not the package, the package must be signed by the key.
>>

> I am not sure what the point you are trying to make here is ?
>
> There is no argument that what I am asking for MUST be done.
>
> The Debian link I referred to explains in much detaily WHY it is important.

The point is package is checked by gpg signature.

The link referred  "Serving the repository under HTTPS is OPTIONAL"

The package is signed using gpg key, The key must be download over
secure connection, not the package.

--
Lucas Castro